We are taking decisive and responsible action on climate change
NSW Climate Change Policy Framework
Under the NSW Climate Change Policy Framework 2016 the NSW Government has set objectives to achieve net zero emissions by 2050 and make NSW more resilient to a changing climate.
NSW Climate Change Adaptation Strategy
To help achieve the resilience objective in the NSW Climate Change Policy Framework the NSW Government has released the NSW Climate Change Adaptation Strategy.
The strategy sets out an ambitious approach to climate change adaptation. It provides a framework that will strengthen and expand action to adapt to climate change now and over the long term. It will help protect the future prosperity of the people, economy and environment of NSW from climate change. It will also maximise opportunities to create jobs and grow the economy through adaptation. The strategy sets out key decision-making principles and objectives for adaptation, key priorities and a suite of actions.
Action to reduce emissions
NSW was one of the first Australian jurisdictions to commit to net zero emissions by 2050. We are now on track to halve emissions by 2030 compared to 2005 levels while growing the economy.
The Net Zero Plan Stage 1: 2020–2030 is the foundation for NSW’s action to reduce emissions, reach our targets of a 50 per cent emissions reduction on 2005 levels by 2030 and to achieve net zero emissions by 2050.
The Plan outlines the NSW Government’s plan to grow the economy, create jobs and reduce the cost of living through strategic emissions reduction initiatives across the economy.
Major emissions reductions initiatives under the Plan include the:
- NSW Electricity Infrastructure Roadmap, which will deliver a modern energy system for the State and unlock investment in renewable energy
- NSW Net Zero Industry and Innovation Program, which will help reduce emissions from NSW’s industrial sector and invest in new clean technologies for the future
- NSW Electric Vehicle Strategy, which will accelerate the uptake of electric vehicles
- NSW Hydrogen Strategy, which will support the growth of a hydrogen industry
- NSW Waste and Sustainable Materials Strategy, which will reduce emissions through better waste and materials management
- NSW Primary Industries Productivity and Abatement Program, which will drive sustainable land management, boost productivity and help reduce emissions.